Focused on Internet Marketing and Advertising Law
Richard B. Newman is one of the most highly-regarded and distinguished Internet marketing compliance and regulatory defense lawyers in the industry, advocating his clients’ interests aggressively and pursuing the strategy that best aligns with their business priorities.
His core areas of practice and considerable experience representing companies and individuals in the marketing, advertising, digital media, technology and communications sectors allow Richard to assist his clients successfully navigate complex and rapidly evolving laws, regulations and industry best practices.
Over the years, Richard has been involved in some of the most important advertising-related regulatory investigations and enforcement actions in the country. He litigates cutting-edge issues against the FTC on behalf of affiliate marketers and is one of only a small handful of regulatory defense attorneys to have challenged the authority of the Commission to seek disgorgement, at all. Importantly, Richard has also successfully convinced the FTC to drop investigations after exposing weaknesses.
He has successfully obtained modification of onerous asset freezes and reporting requirements and negotiated settlements where defendant-marketers paid only a small portion of the damages alleged by the FTC.
Richard works with marketers to prevent and optimally resolve advertising related regulatory issues
From affiliate advertising and lead generation compliance to complex commercial litigation and regulatory investigations/ defense, from email marketing, Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) issues and telemarketing challenges to privacy and data security, Richard possesses a proven track record of enthusiastically assisting a full range of marketing clients to obtain the best possible results by unraveling even the most complex challenges while managing costs at every turn.
In addition to representing advertising, affiliate networks, publishers and lead generators in federal and state government investigations, the scope of his practice includes, but is not limited to:
- FTC and state Attorneys General investigations (CIDs) and lawsuits
- Complex commercial litigation defense
- Arbitration and mediation
- Internet law
- Intellectual property filing and litigation
- Lanham Act and comparative advertising litigation
- Negotiating and drafting the full range of advertiser, network, affiliate, lead generation and data license agreements to minimize the potential for liability, fraud and collections issues while maximizing revenue
- Advertising, creative copy, pre-sale page and disclosure compliance clearance
- Subscription-based and recurring revenue business model compliance
- Lead generation and aggregation compliance
- Email (CAN-SPAM and California BPC 17529.5) and telemarketing compliance
- eCommerce and technology-related counseling
- Privacy and data security counseling